Anyone here play any instruments/have played? If so how hard was it to learn?

Sounds like we have guitar, bass, drums, violin, and keys! Let’s go 🎸

Reactions: JustAVisitor and BBBen
I can play the butt trumpet pretty good. But that is about how my music goes.... It stinks. Lol

• Haha
Reactions: Aimeesaurus and BBBen
feetintrouble said:
I play church organ: I'm mostly self-taught, although I have attended a course on playing organ, which gave me the privilege of briefly playing one of England's finest cathedral organs. I learned piano as a child, and moved on to organ later. It's a very powerful instrument, like playing a whole orchestra, and it's easy to make it sound very loud and grand by pressing the right buttons, but playing it well is much more difficult, especially with the feet as well, which you don't learn with the piano.

I'd love to try playing other instruments, such as brass.
Good to see another church organist here ! I've been playing the organ for better than 55 years now. I had lessons for a few years when I was a kid, but a lot of what I do has been self study by listening to other ( much better ! ) organists though the years. And yes, the organ is referred to as The King of Instruments for very good reasons.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: nectar0001, Diaperman95 and BBBen
That is very cool you guys play the organ. I love the sounds of a big pipe organ. But I do not have a musical note in my body. I tried the Alto sax and drums in middle school but I just have no rhythm. I believe dogboy is a very accomplished Musician.

I've played piano for 11 years. I recently picked up the accordion (1.5 years) and the harp (1 year). I found that with my background in piano, the accordion was extremely easy for me to learn and I was playing similar stuff to on piano within a few weeks. The harp was much more difficult however, and I'm still not too good at it but improving. I've also dabbled in drums for the past five-ish years but am in no way great at them, I just know how to keep a good beat and add somewhat flashy fills every now and again.

KendallP said:
Good to see another church organist here ! I've been playing the organ for better than 55 years now. I had lessons for a few years when I was a kid, but a lot of what I do has been self study by listening to other ( much better ! ) organists though the years. And yes, the organ is referred to as The King of Instruments for very good reasons.
that's fantastic!!

Played with electric guitar for a bit. Used tab and never properly learned music. The stuff I like is mostly in gritty CGCFAD power chords so was pretty simple. Nearly had the solo to Stricken down but had some trouble with the hammer ons and pulls offs at the end. For some reason never went back to finish that part. AH AH AH OOWW 🤘

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: BBBen and nectar0001
LittleAndAlone said:
Played with electric guitar for a bit. Used tab and never properly learned music. The stuff I like is mostly in gritty CGCFAD power chords so was pretty simple. Nearly had the solo to Stricken down but had some trouble with the hammer ons and pulls offs at the end. For some reason never went back to finish that part. AH AH AH OOWW 🤘
time to pick it up again!! I'll throw down some bass rhythms for ya.

My folks were slightly pushy about me playing an instrument in grade school. I tried drums but it seems that I possess no natural rhythm, or at least none that I could locate, so that didn’t work out. Then I played the coronet for a couple of years but was never much good at it. It seems that old saying about getting out of something what you put into was true and I put little into it.

I learned piano and lord of the dance when I was a kid at school, my dad learned the guitar when I was sick as a teenager but he never wanted to teach me, I’d love to learn how to play the guitar and the first thing I’d play is this song
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I’d do it on a acoustic guitar, I love the song so much

It is different when it's your own choice. Recorder in school? Yuck. On my own, years later? I have 3 sizes now, plus " native american style" wood ones!

I am a drummer though I haven't played in a while. I started playing Rock Band with family and it grew into a real kit from there in 2008. There was a time in high school and community college that I got to dive into it hardcore for a few years while playing in a country cover band, so I got to play live and also got to study my personal preference of hard/prog rock. I am itching to have a kit readily available.

Last edited:
Reactions: Angelapinks
I played keyboard when I was a teenager into my early 20s. I was pretty decent at that. I also learned a little bass but I wasn't great haha. I was assigned trombone in my music class at school but I hated it and didn't put in much effort. I kinda wish I kept up with the keyboard, I could have been really good. I suppose I could take it up again but my fingers don't have the dexterity they used to!

DiaperedJeff said:
I play guitar and piano. Taught myself to play both. Guitar as a 12 year old and piano at 40. If you have a piano or keyboard get the book “how to play the piano dispute years of lessons”. Teaches “Facebook” piano which is what you need to play most popular songs.
I played guitar when I was about 11 and also a little on the piano. I got a set of drums in high school and formed a band. we were not bad and played some private parties and one or two events at service clubs. This was in the middle sixties but slowly our members went their own ways or got jobs and lost interest.

Synthesizers. It was hard to learn. I got real good at the sound design part, but never very good at actually playing the keys.

Last edited:
nectar0001 said:
time to pick it up again!! I'll throw down some bass rhythms for ya.
I couldn't even play Stricken anymore, completely forget everything, would have to start over. 😞

I’ve played the guitar for 45yrs and the violin for 20. Music is very much in my blood and a big part of me.

Reactions: SnepperStepper and Angelapinks
I play some, yeah. I'm pretty good at translating from one artform, medium, tool, etc to another and having it all conceptually connect. I play and create like a kid, free from the expectations of what something is "supposed to be" while also having this rose colored glasses approach to what it means to me and what it means to be a (insert whichever artform, for the sake of example, let's say musician). I also learn by ear and am not the best at reading sheet music rn, though learning how to do that is on my lto-do list. I play: guitar both electric and acoustic, keyboard synth, piano, MOOG synthesizer, harmonica, drums, bass, ukulele, recorder, synth boxes in general including drum machines, and i've been known to do a good mash-up of samples here and there. I'd definitely love to learn more, that's just where I'm at right now. I could make my own band by myself but honestly I'd love to play and jam with some friends.

Back