Fleas help!

BigAl2

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
I don't get a full nights rest because of fleas. We don't let the pets in the bedroom. But they still got in there. I been spraying and fogging. But they just wont die it seams. It's not bed bugs at least. The pets have seresto collars. Any tips what i can do?

• Wow
Reactions: Edgewater, TrashPanda01 and Jorelaxed
Well the proper way to do it would be to move out for 48 hrs and have the place fumigated. alternatively you can buy stuff and do it your self. frontline is a flee killer. very effective. always wear a mask if your going to do it yourself.

Reactions: Edgewater, sbmccue, Jorelaxed and 1 other person
I wish we could go away for a few days and have it fumigated. But we also have 26 snakes. Cant take them with us though.

• Wow
  • Thinking
Reactions: Edgewater, artemisenterri, Kirisin and 1 other person
Prolly best to contact pest control. May be expensive

Reactions: Edgewater, TrashPanda01, Jorelaxed and 1 other person
Go to domyownpestcontrol.com if you feel like you could be comfortable treating yourself. There is lots of products available to the consumer that are safe to use with proper protection. Definitely use an IGR with stops the life cycle of reproduction. But long term it will eliminate them. Message me if you have additional questions

• Love
Reactions: Edgewater, Kirisin, BigAl2 and 1 other person
BigAl2 said:
I wish we could go away for a few days and have it fumigated. But we also have 26 snakes. Cant take them with us though.
26 snakes! ok fine I guess.

Reactions: Edgewater, Jorelaxed and BigAl2
Pest control professional for 12 years here. You can treat them yourself. No need to call a company. It will require work on your part.

1. Remove as much stuff off the floor as possible, especially carpeted areas.

2. Vacuum and clean all your floors thoroughly.

3. Purchase flea bombs from the store. Read the label and follow the instructions completely. For the safety of your pets you will need to remove them from the house while fumigation because you will need to treat every room.

4. While fumigating you should take all your fur babies to get a flea bath at your local pet groomer.

5. After fumigating you will need to thoroughly vacuum all carpeted areas every day for at least a week.

Depending on the level of infestation you may need to repeat in about 2-3 months. Also treat the exterior perimeter of your house because they will be living out there as well. It's a lot of work but it's the only way. Good luck.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Edgewater, Kirisin, dogboy and 3 others
Washing-up liquid/dish-soap diluted with water in a trigger-spray bottle is my insect killer of choice (pet/me safe).
It's sticky and clogs their pores, suffocating them (as well as sticking the small ones where they are).
Works on nowty wasps and hornets, too (firstly by blinding them, before you can get in for the kill... unless they, erm, flee 😁).

Reactions: BigAl2
You can make lures that will attract them to something only toxic to them. It becomes an ongoing house keeping effort. I had fleas with my cats years ago and dusted them with Sevin powder. I vacuumed all the time and washed everything in hot water.

Reactions: Edgewater and BigAl2
I picked up Raid max to try. I was using the hot shot before. We do use dawn for pet baths. For fogging the hole house we can cover the snake enclosures. For now i sprayed the bedroom floor with kerosene. My neighbor told me that trick. We have hard wood floors. So no carpets to deal with. I got spectricide to do the outside. On a nice day the cats and dogs will go out side for a few house while the fog settles. Please tell me more about the lures. I tried a flea trap light. It didn't work at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: Edgewater
An update. We got them under control. Everyone is sleeping well. The dogs and cats are good too. Im going to do maintenance extermination bi-weekly.

Reactions: dogboy, diaperdude and nappymanuk
Give your pet a few days with Gov. Noam.

• Haha
Reactions: Edgewater, dogboy and BigAl2
The heck with them. I would spend time with her. ;)

• Love
crazy town.

BigAl2 said:
I don't get a full nights rest because of fleas. We don't let the pets in the bedroom. But they still got in there. I been spraying and fogging. But they just wont die it seams. It's not bed bugs at least. The pets have seresto collars. Any tips what i can do?
Good luck with that I have the same issue. You want Thyme essential oil and put it down religiously inside your bedding and carpet, a few drops goes a long way. You want to spray your home with RIP, hover in every nook and cranny and wash the bedding on a very hot wash. RIP is what my vet uses to spray their vet room down to kill the fleas. I get bitten every day

P.S wash the clothing also because they cling to your cloths and hitch a ride

My dogs got fleas several years ago. Tried to do it myself several times and failed to get rid of them. The only thing that eventually worked was “The Flea Lighthouse”.

Fleas are attracted to infrared I believe. A regular incandescent bulb puts out a beacon to the fleas. Underneath the light is sticky tape which traps the fleas.

You can hear the little suckers bouncing off the light all night long.

So gross.

This is pretty similar to what I bought.

Wow, a combination of cats and dogs that are both inside and outside the home. Near a guaranteed assurance of Fleas!

Kerosene is a very old tool for killing Fleas and other bugs, but dangerous as its fumes are very flammable.

If you are feeding mice /rats to your snakes! The mice /rats are another source of fleas.

Yes, you can do this yourself, but you have to be really diligent starting for the basement and ending in the attic, assuring you target every room, closet and storage area and 'everything' in those areas. Fully around the foundation of your home with extra attention at the doors and lower windows for the basement. Clean around the home and spray the ground a full meter (3') from the foundation.

With luck, you will kill most all bugs while you are at this!

Back