For those that were bedwetters growing up...when did it become embarrassing?

I didn't get embarrassed šŸ˜³ i just saw it as normal.
I still do never really had an upbringing where i was shamed it is just part of who i am.

Reactions: Deletion
I remember feeling like an outsider, embarrassed that I still wet my bed and had to wear diapers, when I started middle school. I was 12 then, I didn't know anyone my age who wet their beds or wore diapers. I'd hear kids make jokes about other kids who had an accident, or wet their pants and I felt sort of vulnerable, afraid about what they would say if they knew I wet my bed. I think it contributed a lot to how shy I was around girls, and that only worsened as I got older, entered high school, and still wet my bed and wore diapers. I felt much safer home where my family knew and were sympathetic and supportive. There a few boys who I grew up with who knew and were OK, but basically I tended to be a loner, didn't sleep over anywhere once I became so sensitive about my bedwetting. I think for me, the biggest fear was dating, afraid girls would find out about me, or already know and reject me, and feel embarrassed or more likely humiliated. Being so afraid for so long became a self-fulfilling prophecy. I never dated girls, never went out to parties, instead stayed home in the comfort of my family where I felt safe, could wear diapers around them, wet my bed and everything was nice. By the time I finally stopped my bedwetting, I had become attracted to wearing diapers, to wetting myself, even to using diapers as an outlet for my burgeoning sexual urges. This fear of being discovered, of embarrassment and humiliation really restricted my social life for many years. For example I was in my mid 20's the first time I asked a girl out.

Reactions: wetaccident, kjluvs, diaperkool and 2 others
I think about the age of 7 or so. Up until that time you would see signs at many of your friends houses, beds airing out from time to time, diapers or rubber pants hanging on wash line or in laundry baskets, sitting on beds and hearing or feeling the rubber sheets. Slowly that started to disappear and by the time I was 7, I was pretty self conscious thatvIbwas the only one left v

I was never really embarrassed by my bed wetting when I was younger as it was treated like it was "normal" by my family. I only started to feel embarrassed when I was older and occasionally relapsed, luckily it stopped completely when I was about 12.

Unfortunately my older siblings made me feel embarrassed about it pretty much from the start. Around 10 is when Iā€™d say i really became super conscious of it though. I dreaded the yearly check ups at the family doc because I knew it would be brought up. I pretty much knew every vacation would involve some kind of embarrassment in dealing with this issue. Whenever it was brought up around family, there was always visible surprise in the fact that I was still peeing the bed. Around that age is when it really started to feel like a major shame or ā€œsecretā€ (though unfortunately not much of one) in my life

• Sad
Reactions: wetaccident and Lyric
All of the time.. when is it not embarrassing to pee the bed?

Reactions: antoniorain789
Bryle said:
Wow started at 9? I bet that was rough. Did u diaper yourself of your parents help you?
These diapers were the snap-on style, so I was able to diaper myself. My parents may have shown me the very first time, but I don't remember.

Probably once sleepovers trips came into play. The embarrassment pretty much left after my high school years and honestly it does not bother me at all now.

I just didn't care. Everyone knew in any case.

When did it become embarrassing? Honestly right from the start!

- my younger brother brought his friend home and they were playing lego in my room with the mattress upended and drying with my plastic sheet clearly displayed

- first sleepover at a new friends house. He said it's OK if you need nappies your mum told me! I was embarrassed but happy my mother had left one in my sleeping bag. We ended up being good friends afyer that

- my first school camp I had to stay in the teachers cabin. The other kids knew it was for either bad kids or bedwetters. They knew which one i was - and called me all kinds of names

hmm prolly like from 10 onwards until i stopped at 16.

and 15-16 and your mom coming home from shopping with a pack of goodnites and putting them on my bed or the kitchen counter

Reactions: DiaperedBedwetter1998
Kiwirob said:
When did it become embarrassing? Honestly right from the start!

- my younger brother brought his friend home and they were playing lego in my room with the mattress upended and drying with my plastic sheet clearly displayed

- first sleepover at a new friends house. He said it's OK if you need nappies your mum told me! I was embarrassed but happy my mother had left one in my sleeping bag. We ended up being good friends afyer that

- my first school camp I had to stay in the teachers cabin. The other kids knew it was for either bad kids or bedwetters. They knew which one i was - and called me all kinds of names
We ddidnt have school camps

Stevepw said:
I didn't get embarrassed šŸ˜³ i just saw it as normal.
I still do never really had an upbringing where i was shamed it is just part of who i am.
My folks tried to shame me. My sister told everyone but I just didn't care. I wet the bed so What!

Reactions: babywolfboy and nectar0001
I remember when I was about 8, and my mom was still diapering me for bed because I still peed myself. Then I became aware of how vulnerable and exposed I was one day when I was laying naked on the bed, legs spread and pulled up and I had a boner on. She powdered and rubbed lotion on me and I felt so ashamed. I had three younger brothers and none of them had to be diapered.

Last edited:
Millbay said:
I became incontinent as a teenager that is when my nocturnal enuresis (bed wetting) started and felt so embarrassed being back in diapers 24/7.
I went back to nappies at night because I wet the bed every night during my teens. The nappies were more embarrassing than the bed wetting but soon I got used to them.

Every time I would visit my cousins once or twice a year. When I was 5 or 6 they would ask if I brought my pullups and that they put the plastic sheets on the bed for me. I hadn't visited them for several years and just visited them again last year at 38 years old and they joked about it again but I don't wet the bed anymore.

It became embarrassing every time my mom talked about it with other people (mostly family and very close friends) in front of me.
Not sure if this was a way of trying to shame me into becoming dry at night or if she just didn't think much of it,
but that was embarrassing every time it happened.
I continue to give her the benefit of the doubt in saying, that there was no internet in the 80s and this was the only
"real time" way to get others' opinions or experiences on the subject matter.

It was always embarrassing. Definitely remember feeling embarrassed by it at age 4 for example.

Reactions: JunkyardDog1
It became embarrassing to me when I was about 5 and my older sister started making fun of me for wetting the bed. I was a kid before goodnights so slept in potty-training pants and covers.

Honestly I was only shamed by my parents and I liked pullups/diapers so much I didā€™t mind I vividly remember having a sleep over and I lowkey just left my full pullup in my laundry basket šŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™€ļø (I wet untill 13) and then had one strange day when I was 15 and woke up soaked I was so afraid of my parents finding out so I stashed my clothes in an abandoned locker at school

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: JOCKMAN and Jackie61485
Back