Interstim or botox thoughts?

My inflammatory bowel disease was never helped by Botox injections. My interstitial cystitis has always had a tendency to flare up when my IBD is active, but selling down the IC doesn't seem to help the IBD. I don't have a bowel at all anymore, so hopefully I'm done dealing with IBD flares.

As for Botox versus diapers, I will point out that in ten years of self-cathing most of the time, I've had one UTI, and that was likely acquired at the hospital and may have been a result of a Foley cath. Carrying a few catheters in my pocket is easier than carrying a couple of spare diapers, they're covered by insurance (unlike diapers), and I can self-cath in less time than it takes most people to pee. So for me, it would be an easy decision even if the Botox were just for incontinence. As it happens, it helps relieve the pain of interstitial cystitis, so that makes it an even easier decision to get Botox. If your own incontinence does not cause severe pain, and if you're prone to UTIs, then I can understand not wanting Botox, but it's really been a miracle for me.

Reactions: Pino, EcoIncon and PadPhilosopher
ltaluv said:
My inflammatory bowel disease was never helped by Botox injections. My interstitial cystitis has always had a tendency to flare up when my IBD is active, but selling down the IC doesn't seem to help the IBD. I don't have a bowel at all anymore, so hopefully I'm done dealing with IBD flares.

As for Botox versus diapers, I will point out that in ten years of self-cathing most of the time, I've had one UTI, and that was likely acquired at the hospital and may have been a result of a Foley cath. Carrying a few catheters in my pocket is easier than carrying a couple of spare diapers, they're covered by insurance (unlike diapers), and I can self-cath in less time than it takes most people to pee. So for me, it would be an easy decision even if the Botox were just for incontinence. As it happens, it helps relieve the pain of interstitial cystitis, so that makes it an even easier decision to get Botox. If your own incontinence does not cause severe pain, and if you're prone to UTIs, then I can understand not wanting Botox, but it's really been a miracle for me.
100% my opinion either.

Reactions: EcoIncon and PadPhilosopher
I am getting Botox now for about 4 years now, i will get my 4th injection next month. Until now i can not find any indication the Botox is getting less effective, but i heard of that as well, but one Neuro-Urologist denied that, when i asked about it (but he was an idiot).
So, i only get it once a year in the hope it will work longer for me this way and it is possible to get a higher dose three times, 100E/200E/300E, i am still at 100E.

I never had an UTI from ISC and i am doing now ALL catheters, even in hospital and at doctors offices by myself, like @EcoIncon realized it is much more comfortable this way and painless, when done right.

For the decision Botox AND ISC or diapers i am with @ltaluv on this.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eclectic and PadPhilosopher
Back