Were you put in nappies or pull ups for days out or long trips after potty training?

Did you wear nappies past potty training when out

• Total voters
SoggyRunner said:
I forgot about the “pee can” my parents often had for my brothers and me, also in the 70s. It was a Maxwell house coffee can with plastic snap-on lid. It was impossible to hide that you were using it with the loud sound from the stream hitting the metal, especially if you were the first to have to go. We used pull-ups with our kid - modern child car seats all but make the pee can method impossible without stopping and completely unbuckling. By age 4, he had a bladder of steel and could probably hold it longer than my wife and I, anyway, so they weren’t much needed unless traveling at night and he was asleep.
Our kids were the same at that age …maybe 1 out of ten times did they ever need the pull-up

I do vaguely remember being put back in a Nappy once for a long car trip so that would have been around 1957 ish and I think I recall it because I protested so much about it 😐

I do remember on some long rides when i was a kid and even later, especially if going to maybe sleep, as i've always been a bedwetter that I was in a diaper, and even as an adult there have been plenty of times i wore a diaper for long trips. I've done some solo flight from the US to EU with aerobatic single seat airplanes a few times, i always wore and brought with an extra couple diapers, as it's hours without anything available, and TBH using a urinal with a stick and a chute on in the airplane is not fun nor easy, and using a diaper is IMHO way safer, aerobatic airplanes are very touchy on the stick and NONE of them had an autopilot.
I know others that have and do the same thing, as especially if you happn to have say a shart or worse, that isnt going to be a good thing, cleaning a chute and then someone elses airplane after you have soiled it would not be fun nor easy to hide...be just a mess, pun intended.
Luckly i never had any issues with anything but pee on a flight solo but i know others that have.

Also, i know a friend that just said he wishes he had a diaper on when he was coming back from a colonoscopy, he eneded up with some serious cleaning and also tossing pants and underwear, more a bloodclot issues, but a diaper would have saved both the clothes and hs seat from some serious issues, he ended up getting a new seat from a junk yard in the end, as he didnt get it cleaned instantly and well, that was not the best choice.

But, really even with my ex's kids we let them wear or even suggested that they put on a pullup when we were going on long trips, i sorta required it on the airplane, as i flew us a lot places and just in my old C310, so no bathroom breaks and i'd hate to see a young kid trying to use a urinal on a small plane, that would be a disaster...I also required them to use thier carseats till they were too big to fit on the airplanes too, as that old bird just had lap belts in the back that were not that good and i know the kids were better and more comfortable in the old Britax Frontier carseats I had for them (went with a good quality for the car and the planes).

But really as a parent, having them put on a pullup was never an issue with them, and if they used it or not wasnt a big deal with me or the ex. it's just way better than cleanup in the car for sure.

Now, me i was a bedwetter so having one on me if i was going to sleep in the car was just normal...also my father was not one to stop often for a bathroom break either, so that said it was handy. and luckly in the 70's diaposables were a thing and i always (unless forgotten) had the old pampers fan fold diapers back then available, and used them at night till rather old actually, not sure if I was that small or just the diaper were bigger back then TBH

So, i really dont see why more parents dont just in case use the pulups that are easily available anywhere for the kids on all the longer trips, say longer than an hour or two for sure. it's just cheap insurance and when they get to the destination its easy for them to jsut toss in the trash when they goto the bathroom, not that big a deal as long as you as a parent make it not a big deal.

I also used to have the homeschooling kids over often, as i have a big house and lots of fun stuff and a farm to play on, even a private pond. But with the kids we didnt make them, but we strongly encourged them to use a pullup at night, and also when we did a few times take a few with us on a trip (Both in the plane and also van) would ask them to put on a pullup.
It wasnt ever that big a deal as it was everyone, no matter the age till adult, then they usually didnt travel with us much, but even the say 14yo's were if going on a 3hr plane ride to somelace (or longer as often would do the coast in one leg) would be asked to wear a pullup and i had them available, and i can only think of one time an older kid was a bit miffed, and i just said, no pullup, no comming with. and that was the end of it, which on a different trip (4 hours though) he ended up using the pullup in flight, but that was sorta expected at 4hours without stopping.

Reactions: Canadianfalls
Lori said:
(Puts on American Southern Belle accent)
Aw, yes ahh did!

Seriously though, my parents did exactly that, for long drives at least. I guess that is preferable to having piss all over their seats 😅
I remember my dad one time laying me down, cause we were driving somewhere really far away, and he put a nappy on me for the drive. I was 3 years old then.
I don't know what brand that nappy was, but it was I think fabricky-backed with a purple landing strip
Your accent is brilliant !!

Bigbabybret said:
I do remember on some long rides when i was a kid and even later, especially if going to maybe sleep, as i've always been a bedwetter that I was in a diaper, and even as an adult there have been plenty of times i wore a diaper for long trips. I've done some solo flight from the US to EU with aerobatic single seat airplanes a few times, i always wore and brought with an extra couple diapers, as it's hours without anything available, and TBH using a urinal with a stick and a chute on in the airplane is not fun nor easy, and using a diaper is IMHO way safer, aerobatic airplanes are very touchy on the stick and NONE of them had an autopilot.
I know others that have and do the same thing, as especially if you happn to have say a shart or worse, that isnt going to be a good thing, cleaning a chute and then someone elses airplane after you have soiled it would not be fun nor easy to hide...be just a mess, pun intended.
Luckly i never had any issues with anything but pee on a flight solo but i know others that have.

Also, i know a friend that just said he wishes he had a diaper on when he was coming back from a colonoscopy, he eneded up with some serious cleaning and also tossing pants and underwear, more a bloodclot issues, but a diaper would have saved both the clothes and hs seat from some serious issues, he ended up getting a new seat from a junk yard in the end, as he didnt get it cleaned instantly and well, that was not the best choice.

But, really even with my ex's kids we let them wear or even suggested that they put on a pullup when we were going on long trips, i sorta required it on the airplane, as i flew us a lot places and just in my old C310, so no bathroom breaks and i'd hate to see a young kid trying to use a urinal on a small plane, that would be a disaster...I also required them to use thier carseats till they were too big to fit on the airplanes too, as that old bird just had lap belts in the back that were not that good and i know the kids were better and more comfortable in the old Britax Frontier carseats I had for them (went with a good quality for the car and the planes).

But really as a parent, having them put on a pullup was never an issue with them, and if they used it or not wasnt a big deal with me or the ex. it's just way better than cleanup in the car for sure.

Now, me i was a bedwetter so having one on me if i was going to sleep in the car was just normal...also my father was not one to stop often for a bathroom break either, so that said it was handy. and luckly in the 70's diaposables were a thing and i always (unless forgotten) had the old pampers fan fold diapers back then available, and used them at night till rather old actually, not sure if I was that small or just the diaper were bigger back then TBH

So, i really dont see why more parents dont just in case use the pulups that are easily available anywhere for the kids on all the longer trips, say longer than an hour or two for sure. it's just cheap insurance and when they get to the destination its easy for them to jsut toss in the trash when they goto the bathroom, not that big a deal as long as you as a parent make it not a big deal.

I also used to have the homeschooling kids over often, as i have a big house and lots of fun stuff and a farm to play on, even a private pond. But with the kids we didnt make them, but we strongly encourged them to use a pullup at night, and also when we did a few times take a few with us on a trip (Both in the plane and also van) would ask them to put on a pullup.
It wasnt ever that big a deal as it was everyone, no matter the age till adult, then they usually didnt travel with us much, but even the say 14yo's were if going on a 3hr plane ride to somelace (or longer as often would do the coast in one leg) would be asked to wear a pullup and i had them available, and i can only think of one time an older kid was a bit miffed, and i just said, no pullup, no comming with. and that was the end of it, which on a different trip (4 hours though) he ended up using the pullup in flight, but that was sorta expected at 4hours without stopping.
How often did they end up using the pull-ups?

Txdpboy said:
How often did they end up using the pull-ups?
The kids would always wear them, that was the rule, easier than trying to figure out who needed them and/or if there would be any teasing or alike in them.

But, as it were, i'd say in the few long trips, most the kids did use them.
A somewhat normal trip would be from the twin cities to west coast, so that was a long trip and your going to either need a urinal or something to go nonstop more than likely.

Would fly to chicago (used to live there) and Texas and alike as well.

When going just for a few days or something would often bring kids with, and sometimes friends as well.

I'd even grab one of the larger planes from time to time for things like going to amusment parks and such and have with more than a couple kids.

But as far as using the pullups, they were used often enough (being wet) and i'd notice sometimes or they would even say something when we would get to the FBO to me or the ex as they wernt always sure what to do, where the bathrooms were and the younger one we'd help out, but the older ones would just take care of things themself.

But, having 4 kids or sometimes more, and varying ages, my rule was pullup (or diaper) before any trips in the airplane, and it worked just fine, and going for a trip on a private plane and also usually someplace fun, like the coast or chicago science and industry or an amusement park, or even just going to lake superior north shore was usually enough fun to ignore the pullup. Like i said only one time was it even questioned, as it was every kid, no matter, our own or friends, just how it is, and then noone is going to ever tease or say anything about someone needing a pullup or alike, not going to tease one when they themself are also wearing a pullup, wether they use it or not wasnt the intent in any way. But pulling over from FL250 isnt not that easy and more than likely by the time anyone asked to goto the bathroom it would be too late anyhow in the end, diverting off a flight plan, and landing, and taxiing and then getting in the FBO to use the bathroom, that is not a trivial deal nor really fast. I'm know a few times the older kids used the pullup as even a couple did say so, but really i just let them goto the bathroom when we landed and didnt ask if they used them, that was not of any real concern in the end anyhow.

As an aside though i had only a couple time any kids ever threw up on the plane, actually think had more an issue with adults than kids or at minimum equal. Yes always have sic bags available on the plane, and close at hand.

There was many times though that my ex did wear as well, just in case, on the long flights, and also that time of the month, she said the pressure changes would really cause things to flo so there was that too...But i never really asked one way or the other on her part, but i do know a couple times where she grabed one of my IC diapers for use on a flight (at the FBO before takeoff digging through my bags in the car before loading the plane)

Reactions: Blorgldorf21
I never was but my brother was pretty accident prone so he was put in pull-ups a lot. I may have been jealous.

Bigbabybret said:
The kids would always wear them, that was the rule, easier than trying to figure out who needed them and/or if there would be any teasing or alike in them.

But, as it were, i'd say in the few long trips, most the kids did use them.
A somewhat normal trip would be from the twin cities to west coast, so that was a long trip and your going to either need a urinal or something to go nonstop more than likely.

Would fly to chicago (used to live there) and Texas and alike as well.

When going just for a few days or something would often bring kids with, and sometimes friends as well.

I'd even grab one of the larger planes from time to time for things like going to amusment parks and such and have with more than a couple kids.

But as far as using the pullups, they were used often enough (being wet) and i'd notice sometimes or they would even say something when we would get to the FBO to me or the ex as they wernt always sure what to do, where the bathrooms were and the younger one we'd help out, but the older ones would just take care of things themself.

But, having 4 kids or sometimes more, and varying ages, my rule was pullup (or diaper) before any trips in the airplane, and it worked just fine, and going for a trip on a private plane and also usually someplace fun, like the coast or chicago science and industry or an amusement park, or even just going to lake superior north shore was usually enough fun to ignore the pullup. Like i said only one time was it even questioned, as it was every kid, no matter, our own or friends, just how it is, and then noone is going to ever tease or say anything about someone needing a pullup or alike, not going to tease one when they themself are also wearing a pullup, wether they use it or not wasnt the intent in any way. But pulling over from FL250 isnt not that easy and more than likely by the time anyone asked to goto the bathroom it would be too late anyhow in the end, diverting off a flight plan, and landing, and taxiing and then getting in the FBO to use the bathroom, that is not a trivial deal nor really fast. I'm know a few times the older kids used the pullup as even a couple did say so, but really i just let them goto the bathroom when we landed and didnt ask if they used them, that was not of any real concern in the end anyhow.

As an aside though i had only a couple time any kids ever threw up on the plane, actually think had more an issue with adults than kids or at minimum equal. Yes always have sic bags available on the plane, and close at hand.

There was many times though that my ex did wear as well, just in case, on the long flights, and also that time of the month, she said the pressure changes would really cause things to flo so there was that too...But i never really asked one way or the other on her part, but i do know a couple times where she grabed one of my IC diapers for use on a flight (at the FBO before takeoff digging through my bags in the car before loading the plane)
Did your kids know that you and maybe your ex were wearing too?

Reactions: goodnitedog
Blorgldorf21 said:
Did your kids know that you and maybe your ex were wearing too?
well, i've always worn at night, but wasnt ic at daytime till accident/

That said, i would wear on a LONG flight when single pilot, but outside that didnt need to wear during the day.

But, never would or have hidden the IC issue i've had, and after the accident i of course wasnt hiking or flying anymore obviously, but the kids did know that i wore at that point, and also that i was also not able to walk for a year and even after need a wheelchair for much walking (I can on a good day do 100' without much an issues) so despite not specifically stating i wear, im sure they knew, as it wasnt hidden at all, and i know they knew when i was completely unable to walk at all for sure as it did come up a couple times.

My story’s a bit different as I was dry day and night past the age of 3, bar the occasional rare accident.

My incontinence was caused by a chronic illness I caught when I was a teen and I’ve needed padding ever since.

Used to wear Goodnites during the day but I had to switch to diapers 24/7 when I grew out of them and my control issues got worse.

Breathe Deep, Seek Peace
Dinotopian2002

Reactions: Canadianfalls
My parents frowned on it very much. If I had to go #1, we would stop on the side of the road. #2 meant gas station. That was it!

DLBeth said:
My nighttime protection was nappy with tabs
Did you like a proper nappy with tabs?

Bigbabybret said:
aerobatic single seat airplanes a few times, i always wore and brought with an extra couple diapers, as it's hours without anything available, and TBH using a urinal with a stick and a chute on in the airplane is not fun nor easy, and using a diaper is IMHO way safer, aerobatic airplanes are very touchy on the stick and NONE of them had an autopilot.
I know others that have and do the same thing, as especially if you happn to have say a shart or worse, that isnt going to be a good thing, cleaning a chute and then someone elses airplane after you have soiled it would not be fun nor easy to hide.
Would g-strain maneuvers cause an accidental shart? I mean you do have to flex those muscles pretty hard.

Andy86 said:
Did you like a proper nappy with tabs?
I did and didnt pull ups were more discreet but leaked often my tape up nappies would hold more but were bulky

Reactions: Andy86
DLBeth said:
I did and didnt pull ups were more discreet but leaked often my tape up nappies would hold more but were bulky
I see, do you prefer more discreet protection then? I generally prefer thick proper nappies 😊🤫

Andy86 said:
I see, do you prefer more discreet protection then? I generally prefer thick proper nappies 😊🤫
When I go to college I wear Rearz nappies mainly which are fairly thick for me as I don't really like having to change at college unless I have too

DLBeth said:
When I go to college I wear Rearz nappies mainly which are fairly thick for me as I don't really like having to change at college unless I have too
Yea makes sense to wear nice thick protection if you need to last a while before changing 😊 do you like wearing?

Andy86 said:
Yea makes sense to wear nice thick protection if you need to last a while before changing 😊 do you like wearing?
I love wearing and I'm incontinent so have to as well

Reactions: PatrickDL and Andy86
DLBeth said:
I love wearing and I'm incontinent so have to as well
I love wearing whenever I can but I’m not incontinent, have you always been? Do you have different sorts of protection? 😊

Andy86 said:
I love wearing whenever I can but I’m not incontinent, have you always been? Do you have different sorts of protection? 😊
Yea I've always been incontinent, I do have pull ups and stuff to wear when I go out with friends and don't wanna wear a tape up nappy but always keep a nappy in my bag just in case

Back