Why did my phone lock up?

ben0510

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
HI This has nothing to do with abdl, but I'll ask any way. does any one know why my samsung phone would decide to lock up, and not accept the password which I know is correct? its not done it before. its fixed now and I'm £20.00 lighter. any suggestions as to the cause of this and what to do if it happens again, appreciated. thanks.

Reactions: PadPhilosopher
Lots of possible reasons, but:
1. Goggle has taken over your phone. 'Try' to reduce the number of goggle based app's you have! FYI: Best of Luck on Completing that!!
2. Samsung's have a history of becoming upset if you do not complete a full 'Restart' (refresh) at least monthly (some want it weekly) and get weirder the long that time span.
3. Along the lines of #2, they also have a like problem when you do not shut them completely down for a few hours before a restart!
4. You likely swore at your Samsung and that was a reprisal!
Enjoy:ROFLMAO:

Reactions: PadPhilosopher and Zeke
There are a lot of reasons that can happen, but generally speaking the old trope of "did you try turning it off and on again" applies. Pretty much every phone in existence has some mechanism of doing a proper hard power off/on usually involving some combination of holding buttons. For £20.00 that's probably all they did.

Reactions: mistykitty, PadPhilosopher, Zeke and 2 others
BoundCoder said:
There are a lot of reasons that can happen, but generally speaking the old trope of "did you try turning it off and on again" applies. Pretty much every phone in existence has some mechanism of doing a proper hard power off/on usually involving some combination of holding buttons. For £20.00 that's probably all they did.
I tried the 'hold the button and hope for the best' trick. it didn't work.

• Thinking
Reactions: PadPhilosopher and Edgewater
Ive fixed a few different makes of phones that happened to including my own samsung and all u had to was force reboot it. Which is switching it off press and hold the power button and volume down button the same time until it comes up a menu giving u a few options cant remember them all but one is factory reset and one is reboot and thats the one u want to press and its never failed me yet. When it reboots u just enter the same password it wouldnt accept b4 you forced rebooted it and if its the correct password itll work. There is other ways to do it aswell on the off chance that doesnt work but as boundcoder suggested for 20 quid thats all they have done and it take 2 mins if that. You wer robbed but no as much as some people i know who have been charge up to 50 poun ive been fixing phones for years well b4 andriod and apple phones came out its a sideline of mine and i wouldnt have took a penny for it xxx

Reactions: PadPhilosopher and Edgewater
If it was just a matter of holding down the on/off button and the volume button, then strange it didnt work when I did exactly that. maybe he had a different way of holding buttons down to me. any way its done now.

Highly unlikely ‘google’ apps changed your password. Either someone changed your password, you typed it in wrong, or your phone has been compromised by a bad app or website (quite unlikely if it’s a modern Samsung as they have fairly ok inbuilt security)
If you were typing it in correctly and a ‘glitch’was stopping it then a boot into the recovery menu and selecting the clear cache memory and then rebooting the phone would have solved it.

ben0510 said:
If it was just a matter of holding down the on/off button and the volume button, then strange it didnt work when I did exactly that. maybe he had a different way of holding buttons down to me. any way its done now.
Some devices use different combinations. You have to research your specific device.

Reactions: mistykitty
ben0510 said:
HI This has nothing to do with abdl, but I'll ask any way. does any one know why my samsung phone would decide to lock up, and not accept the password which I know is correct? its not done it before. its fixed now and I'm £20.00 lighter. any suggestions as to the cause of this and what to do if it happens again, appreciated. thanks.
We have a problem in the USA where people are getting the cell phone company that they're you.
Saying lost phone and getting them to send them a new SIM card.
Then the put it in a burner phone so the can get your banking info or using bank apps to drain your account. Check your phone company and bank .

• Wow
Reactions: PadPhilosopher and mistykitty
foxkits said:
We have a problem in the USA where people are getting the cell phone company that they're you.
Then the put it in a burner phone so the can get your banking info or using bank apps to drain your account. Check your phone company and bank .
I don't think that's what happened here.

Reactions: Edgewater
foxkits said:
Probably explains why many brands are trying to go simless and use what they call esims that are built right into the phone itself.

As far as the login situation @ben0510 , it could be the sensitivity of your phone is oversensitive for password and is logging multiple digits at once. As others mentioned restarting it occasionally could help and they are unfortunately likely right that for the price you paid they likely didn't do much more than charge you for that.

I find it greatly distressing that several members seem to believe that it is theft to charge someone £20 to resolve the problem they were hired to resolve, on the grounds that the solution may have been a simple one. Certainly, a friend might have resolved it at no charge, but as the person in question was a paid technician with business expenses to pay and a living to earn, the amount of money in question is a very reasonable one. A charlatan would have charged more, on the assumption that the customer would likely not know that the solution was a simple one, and at any rate, would have to pay the fee demanded to recover their property. On the whole, the resolution seems equitable to me.

(Who can tell whose writing style I'm imitating?)

Last edited:
  • Haha
mistykitty said:
Probably explains why many brands are trying to go simless and use what they call esims that are built right into the phone itself.

As far as the login situation @ben0510 , it could be the sensitivity of your phone is oversensitive for password and is logging multiple digits at once. As others mentioned restarting it occasionally could help and they are unfortunately likely right that for the price you paid they likely didn't do much more than charge you for that.
You can do the same thing with eSIM.

I really doubt there is anything nefarious happening. I mean it's possible, but far more likely it's just the result of an automatic update causing a glitch or a random bit of memory malfunctioned or a power spike or overheat or something like that. There are a lot of moving parts (figuratively speaking) in a modern phone (with an increasing number of them relating to how you lock/unlock the thing), and good security practice is to fail secure if anything goes awry.

Far as the £20.00, I certainly wouldn't hold it against whoever charged them for this fix. It's a reasonable amount and certainly in their right to charge for their services. That said, it's not a terrible practice for a business to do small 10 second fixes like that for free as a customer relations thing. You bring your phone in, tell the guy what's wrong, and he just goes "oh, probably just needs a reset" and just fixes it right then and there and sends you on your way. Sure he technically just lost money by spending time for no profit... but that's the kind of thing that'll have you back there when you've got an actual problem like your battery is dead or power switch needs to be replaced or that you'll probably remember when one of your friends mentions they've got an issue with their phone. Again though, totally up to a business how they want to build their customer base and I certainly don't think there should be an expectation that businesses do easy stuff for free or anything like that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Edgewater and PadPhilosopher
Back