Traveling by train

Jamie12345

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
Hey all, I'm going to be taking the train from Portland to Seattle this coming weekend. I'm wondering if any one could share their experience with wearing diapers while on the train. How hard is it to change if I need to? Anything I need to think about that doesn't come to mind right off the bat?

Well I am always in nappies anyway, but I don't travel by train often these days, (Newcastle to Sydney - Australia - took a little under three hours).
I always take a back pack 'nappy bag' with me on long public transport trips.
So how long does the train take from Portland to Seattle according to the timetable ? What sort of carriages are pulled ?
(Sorry I can't be much use to you).
Surely there has to be someone more local to yourself with some answers and suggestions, from experience.
Best of luck.
I hope you have a good weekend.

I haven't travelled Amtrack in the US, but I have in Italy. I assume the bathrooms are relatively similar. You'll have plenty of room to change. Much more room than an airplane. But who knows, Amtrack might be worse than I expect.

I see the time is somewhere around 3.5-4 hours, which if you have a high quality diaper and aren't chugging water, coffee, or beer, you should be fine and not need to change. The bathroom should have a trash big enough for the used diaper, but be prepared for a situation where you need to keep the used diaper with you until you find a better place to dump it.

Other than that, there's nothing special or worrisome about wearing on a train. Just like regular life.

Reactions: Happy2BeInNappies2
I suggest sitting on the isle side (rather than the window side) so that you don't have to squeeze your pee smelling diaper past someone's face to get to the isle. Trash might be an issue as previously mentioned. Other than that, it's much easier than flying.

But do bring enough supplies in case the train breaks down or there is some other hold up down the line. I have been stuck on the train for 5+ hours and not allowed to leave on one occasion. We were not permitted off of the train for fear we'd get hit by a passing train, even though we were near a road crossing.

It's been a very long time since I've taken the train, but last time I did it was very easy to manage my incontinence. The restrooms were quite large, and there were no issues with getting cleaned up and changed. Much easier than trying to do all the contortions to change in an airplane restroom!

I hope you have an absolutely wonderful trip!

In the UK, trains tend to have some bigger restrooms for changing baby diapers so there is more space in them. Doing it in a standard size one is more challenging but still bigger than on airplanes.

It is not to bad. I take a 4 hour trip and back every year for a doctor. The bathrooms are a bit tight but if you have mastered changing standing up using the wall you will not have any troubles. If you have not mastered it than start practicing now because no way you could lay down in the bathroom and doing it you seat might get you arrested. Lol.

[QUOTE="slimjiminy, post: 2463315, member: 59898"
I suggest sitting on the isle side (rather than the window side) so that you don't have to squeeze your pee smelling diaper past someone's face to get to the isle. Trash might be an issue as previously mentioned. Other than that, it's much easier than flying.

But do bring enough supplies in case the train breaks down or there is some other hold up down the line. I have been stuck on the train for 5+ hours and not allowed to leave on one occasion. We were not permitted off of the train for fear we'd get hit by a passing train, even though we were near a road crossing.
[/QUOTE]
Amtrak here in the states the seats are not like on a plane, They are spaced about 6 feet apart. At least on the train I always take down to FortWorth. The bathroom is not much bigger than on airplanes though. Maybe a little bit but tones of leg room and room to recline. I love to travel by train.

I travelled from Glenwood Springs to Denver and back in nappies and had o problems

Here in the uk I have changed my Nappy hundreds of times on trains and some of the more modern carriages have larger toilets to accomodate wheelchairs and one thing they all have in common is a good sized bin to take the used Nappies!
doing a Nappy change in the smaller toilets can be a little challenging but like all these things you soon adapt and get a change down to a fine art.

Reactions: Happy2BeInNappies2
Napincolove said:
Here in the uk I have changed my Nappy hundreds of times on trains and some of the more modern carriages have larger toilets to accomodate wheelchairs and one thing they all have in common is a good sized bin to take the used Nappies!
doing a Nappy change in the smaller toilets can be a little challenging but like all these things you soon adapt and get a change down to a fine art.
If you can change on a plane you can certainly change on a train.

Reactions: Napincolove
I frequently take a four hour train trip. I find it harder to change in the toilets when the train is in motion because of all the bumping around. Last train ride I was on I had undone my nappy while standing and had it between my legs resting in my pulled down plastic pants to catch any drips as I wiped myself when a bigger than normal bump made me lose control and squirt a bit of pee onto my shorts which were still around my ankles. I had a spare pair of pants in my bag so it wasn’t a big deal to change (although always a bit embarrassing to exit a bathroom in different shorts), but in future I will taken them off completely when I am changing. It’s not that dissimilar to a change anywhere else, but you just have to be mindful of the motion.

Wetshisbed said:
I travelled from Glenwood Springs to Denver and back in nappies and had o problems
That has to be a beautiful route through the canyon. I drove that stretch with tractor trailer when much used to be a two lane, rock sided, trailer grinding, goat path along the river nearly fifty years ago and it was beautiful then although I didn’t get much of an opportunity to take it in as I was attempting to preserve my trailer sides from the exposed rock canyon walls that were IMMEDIATELY NEXT to the narrow roadway.

I take the train quite often here in Canada and find the bathrooms excellent for a changing my diaper if I need to. I much prefer train travel to flying and one of the reasons is the larger bathrooms.

Hey all thanks for all the advice. Train ride went pretty well. We did have a delay that made me have to change on the train but luckily it wasn't moving. I was honestly terrified some one was going to walk in on me because I didn't trust the lock, but that didn't happen. It also wasn't the fullest train ever so most people didn't have anyone sitting next to them. Over all I had a good time

Reactions: Happy2BeInNappies2 and slimjiminy
Back