When you go to a grocery store, do you 'inconspicuously' sneak a peak at the baby section?

Cottontail said:
Cottontail New Year’s Resolution #54383: When half of the responses to a baby aisle topic instead refer to the baby isle, tell yourself that you know what they meant and avoid being pedantic.

Obviously I’m still working on that one, but the year’s only just started. ;)

And if there actually is a baby isle somewhere, take pity on my ignorance and give me the coordinates. Vacations need planning, after all.

Anyway, the baby aisle…. Yup! I visit all the time. And I buy stuff! I love using Pampers for extra absorbency, and for giving my stash tubs a nice Pampersy scent. Occasionally I’ll get a pacifier too, or some wipes. It’s a pity that staying alive also requires me to visit all those other super boring aisles.
Haha....I think I had to constantly be aware of the spelling of the baby aisle when I was writing "The Un-training of Stanley Kominsky" because he goes down the baby aisle in the story. It's a tricky word to spell and I have a spelling disability. I wish they had learning disabilities when I was in school because I surely would have used that one....."spelling disability"....Ha! Now you have to excuse me.

• Haha
Reactions: theancientmariner, BBBen and Cottontail
Dude we should all play a scary game in diapers together like phasmophobia that would be awesome

I just look to see if any baby lotion is on sale. I recently got an off brand that stated it had a baby smell. I hope that real babies dont smell like that.

Yep! I usually catch a glance at the section as I’m looking for detergents and other cleaning supplies at the grocery. Same goes for passing glances at stuffed animals in the seasonal sections. The posts on it not having the same appeal without the nostalgic 80s and 90s scented thick diapers holds very true for me as well. Sometimes wish I could shrink myself down to see what I’m missing. 😁

I use on a regular basis, both Johnson's baby soap and Aveeno baby lotion so that takes me down the baby aisle with an intended purpose. I love buying real baby products and going through the checkout aisle. No one ever says anything.

I don't do it 'inconspicuously'. There is no hiding an overwieght 68 year old man perusing the diaper section in a grocery store.
I don't know why I do it. There will never ever be anything there that will fit me. Yet, I feel compelled to go check it out. Just me I guess.

LittleAndAlone said:
Not as often. It's not as intoxicating as it was in the 80s and 90s.
Agreed. While I still occasionally walk through the baby section, stopping momentarily to look at the diapers, it’s not as satisfying with no plastic pants hanging on display, especially Gerber pants hanging exposed from a cardboard card so you could feel the soft vinyl.

Reactions: dogboy
diaperwoody said:
Agreed. While I still occasionally walk through the baby section, stopping momentarily to look at the diapers, it’s not as satisfying with no plastic pants hanging on display, especially Gerber pants hanging exposed from a cardboard card so you could feel the soft vinyl.
The came in a cardboard box for a long time. Toddler size 36 pounds+
I get my bum wipes baby shampoo
Better for hair. A Dr once told on tv years ago that baby shampoo and body wash where better for all ages skincare hair care dose no damage.

All the time! Luckily the small grocery store in my town has bread and snacks in the aisle opposite the baby section! So I’m always in that aisle :D

Reactions: theancientmariner
Has anyone noticed how bad the new infant newborn strollers are.
I have seen them used. The infant is at moms knee caps looking away from there mommy. It's like a child toy stroller. The infant needs to see momma face know she is there. And the bad air from people walking that low to the ground 15" off the ground where the infant sits. I even said something to one mom.
I had no problem with the carrier slipped onto the shopping cart.
So the little one is closed to mom .
Or a tall stroller where infants face mom and she can very much take care of them not breaking there backs. Close looking

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240107-063456~2.png
    Screenshot_20240107-063456~2.png
    59.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Reactions: AJFan2020
I used to hate waking down the baby section as a kid who wet the bed because I was embarrassing for me that I was a bedwetter and wore diapers. Now I have a special needs teen who wears pull-ups during the day so I just get his pull-ups and we both use goodnites bedmats.

Reactions: longallsboy, dogboy and BBBen
I do it more and more often.

Reactions: Sidewinder and BBBen
Yeah I love looking at the bottles and pacifiers although it’s just a quick look as I walk by

Reactions: cprdr and BBBen
Most of the times I do, for sure when shopping at a drugstore or similar.

Yup. Just did a few min ago to look at XL Goodnites. Still the stripes and camouflage design.

I used to about 20-30 years ago, all the time, when I was in 12th grade in high school and in college and university. And not only at supermarkets, but also at drugstores, Wal Mart, and later, Babies R'Us. I remember getting MAM pacifiers at Longs Drugs during my lunch hour in 12th grade a couple of times (my high school had an open campus policy at lunch so students could leave, and Longs was at one of the popular hangouts that my friends hung out at because there was a Safeway there and also a pizza place). Back then, I was very heavily into pacifiers, particularly the MAM brand. There was even one time in December 1995 (or maybe it was December 1996?) when I was 19 or 20, by then in community college, where my mom (who was then in her late 40s chronologically) went with me to Longs Drugs (now called CVS) and she got some Ulti MAM pacifiers for me for Christmas, because I wanted some new ones. (I actually told my 15 year old brother that I wanted some new pacifiers for Christmas, and he thought I said I wanted to light myself on fire for Christmas when he misheard me 🤣🤣). For a while between 1998 and 2006, Babies R'Us sold these pacifiers made by MAM (then distributed by Sassy Baby Products) labeled as the MAXI Ulti MAM pacifier, which had an extra large latex baglet / nipple for toddlers and preschoolers that were 18 months to 3 years old. Loved those. I also had some Nuk size 3 pacifiers in the mid to late 2000s. I was kind of forced to give up using a pacifier - not because of my parents - but because what I wanted became no longer available. They totally stopped marketing the Maxi Ulti MAM in the USA. Sassy Baby Products also ceased to exist and went out of business, they were owned by Russ Berrie, which also made stuffed animals, until their demise. MAM pacifiers are still sold in the USA. Occasionally I'll still go look at the baby aisle in the supermarket, but generally not anymore. They have the MAM pacifiers, except all of them are silicone plastic and aren't made out of latex and I hate silicone. I do hear that MAM pacifiers are still available in Europe with latex nipples (MAM is based in Vienna, Austria). I even think there are some Maxi Ulti MAM pacifiers still available in Germany and Austria and Finland and other places. Back around 2005 or 2006, both MAM and Nuk sent me free pacifiers from Austria and Germany when I talked to them on the phone. They were quite nice to me, but I also explained I do have Classic Autism and ADHD. And that my Autism actually makes me emotionally and socially like a 4 1/2 year old, which is an absolutely true and honest statement.

And technically, I'm not really even an adult baby as I don't wear diapers. I do like some cartoons, kiddie rides at amusement parks, traditional and old fashioned children's clothes like the longall and jon jon, and T strap shoes, though, but that has more to do with my being Autistic and being developmentally disabled, than anything else.

It's a daily struggle having Autism and trying to fit in when you can't. I wish more people would come down to my level and understand why I am the way I am. And see how things are like for me. Some people do understand. But not enough. Some adults, including some moms of young children. And some preschoolers and toddlers do understand. You don't have to be very old to realize I'm lacking social skills or being able to understand nonverbal social cues, as most nonautistic 3 year olds have better social skills than me.

- longallsboy

Last edited:
Reactions: dogboy
I can't say I am inconspicuous, just a normal walk down the baby isle. Where else can I buy baby powder, baby lotion, baby oil, and even on occasion baby cloth diapers that I sometimes use as boosters in my disposable diapers?

Reactions: dogboy and KindaOlde
I always have a quick glance. There is just something about seeing those rows of plastic bags packed with nappies that is so cool.

Pshhh yeah if im alone I spend most of my time there although its sad all the scents are gone 😪

Yes! I always like to have a look even if I don't plan to buy anything

Back