Breaking Up With Your PFT

iatec779

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
So I’ve been in Pelvic Floor Therapy for about 6 or 7 months, about 5 appointments and I’m going back tomorrow. I do feel like I’ve learned a lot about the body and myself; it’s actually helped me to an extent with my incontinence issues.
At this point, it’s a 3hr round trip for therapy and $40 a session copay. Think I’m going to tell her thanks and I’ll take it from here.

Anyone that has went through PFT, did you stop going or do they just kinda keep seeing you as long as your making appts and paying them?

I kinda feel like I plateaued and it’s not worth my time and $$ but, maybe there’s more I’m unaware of yet. IDE keep going if I knew it was going to help more but idk, feel like she can’t do much more.

Guess I’ll start the conversation with her and see what she says.

Reactions: Diprs2, PadPhilosopher, newt and 4 others
I mean I've never had PFT, but I have quit other forms of therapy when I felt it plateaued and that we weren't making any improvements. You have to decide what works best for you. Good luck

Reactions: Diprs2, PadPhilosopher and Edgewater
iatec779 said:
So I’ve been in Pelvic Floor Therapy for about 6 or 7 months, about 5 appointments and I’m going back tomorrow. I do feel like I’ve learned a lot about the body and myself; it’s actually helped me to an extent with my incontinence issues.
At this point, it’s a 3hr round trip for therapy and $40 a session copay. Think I’m going to tell her thanks and I’ll take it from here.

Anyone that has went through PFT, did you stop going or do they just kinda keep seeing you as long as your making appts and paying them?

I kinda feel like I plateaued and it’s not worth my time and $$ but, maybe there’s more I’m unaware of yet. IDE keep going if I knew it was going to help more but idk, feel like she can’t do much more.

Guess I’ll start the conversation with her and see what she says.
I felt the same way. I went to a couple of different PTs and learned a lot, and it was also validating. But after a couple of months, I did not feel the need to go anymore. If it was helping me and I knew it would keep improving I would’ve kept going.

Reactions: Diprs2, PadPhilosopher, Edgewater and 3 others
I got paid 10 sessions over my insurance, i learned something for sure, but i am able to get along alone now.

The PT was not changing my problems very much to begin with, just the understanding got better on my side and i do not fight the urge as before and try to keep my pelvic floor away from cramping, that reduced my pain a lot.

Reactions: Diprs2, PadPhilosopher, Edgewater and 2 others
I'm also in the same boat. I started the first month going twice a week, which isn't normal but my PT was pregnant and due within 2 months, so we wanted to get as many sessions in before it happened. She was amazing, very nice and didn't make me embarrassed at all. After she went on maternity leave, I did once a week for about another month, then twice a month for another couple of months. Then I eventually just kinda...fizzled out.

I did think it was helpful at first, I was definitely improving and learned a lot about little things I could do to ease stress on my PF. It wasn't anything crazy, but enough to keep me motivated to keep going. But it eventually got to the point where I didn't really feel like the sessions were adding much. Most of what I needed was just doing the exercises at my house. I'm glad I did it, and it was one of the few things I've tried that made any difference.

Reactions: Diprs2, iatec779, PadPhilosopher and 2 others
I did a program that was 6 sessions over 12 weeks. I did this routine 3 times during a period of 6 years. Each time I went through the sessions I learned something new even though we covered a lot of the same territory. Each different therapist I saw also had some different ideas and ways of teaching. I don't think I'd have gotten as much out of going to the same PFT 18 times.

Reactions: Diprs2, iatec779, PadPhilosopher and 2 others
My experience is along the line of a doctor defining the physical therapy and the number of sessions. If the PT believes that I have progressed based on defined level the sessions were reduced and ended. Never had sessions for U-IC.

Reactions: Diprs2, iatec779, EcoIncon and 2 others
Over a year in PT and overall the take aways are a benefit to help one find ways in the moment to relax (or tighten) muscles, seek pain relief, and help with stress. Some find cures and others don't; like anything really. So, the advice I would (have) give is to try it and see what it offers. Yes, it can cost a co-pay or out of pocket, the benefits might be well worth it.

Reactions: Diprs2, iatec779, EcoIncon and 2 others
Do you continue to do the exercises that your PT did with you? According to prescribed frequency?

No?

Go back to PT.

• Wow
Reactions: Diprs2, EcoIncon and PadPhilosopher
Back