Using desitin.

limelynx

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
Hi all, I have a question for everyone in the group. I use desitin to help with my diaper rash issue. I am wondering if anyone one else has an issue with using desitin, and your diaper falls apart. It seems that every time I use desitin and change my diaper, the wet diaper stuffing usually ends up on the floor.

Reactions: Dry247, PadPhilosopher, Raven801 and 2 others
A couple of things come to mind: 1. It is important to understand that a couple of the chemicals used will cause glue(s) to degrade. 2. Many individuals use too much and as a result the diaper liner tends stick to it and that can lead to it pulling apart.

Try reducing the amount you are using!

FYI: Consider Upgrading the diaper you are using!

Reactions: barbiejoanne, JulestheFloof, Dry247 and 5 others
what diaper are you using

maybe try a light coating of cream
you don't need a thick layer at all
wear a medical glove then your fingers won't touch the tape

Desitin is very thick cream and hard to wash off
but also works well for diaper rash

Reactions: Edgewater, PadPhilosopher, Seasonedcitizen and 2 others
I been using Desitin for 10 years and never had any issues with the disposables I wear....

Reactions: PadPhilosopher, Jonnythepony, jdinvirginia and 3 others
Harley07 said:
I been using Desitin for 10 years and never had any issues with the disposables I wear....
I have never had any issues either and I can’t remember when I started using it, but it was at least 28 years ago.

Reactions: PadPhilosopher, Jonnythepony, Zeke and 2 others
I've been using it since I was a young kid (my mother did this for me). I don't smear a glob around me. Just a light spread on my butt and around my privates. I do wish they didn't smell so strong. I'm a teacher and my students say I always smell so good (I use Axe Essence spray). I'm not sure it's the odor of zinc oxide or something else. Desitin does the job. I rarely get a diaper rash. Probably because I use this daily along with frequent airing out my skin.

Reactions: PadPhilosopher, Jonnythepony, Edgewater and 1 other person
I've messed around with various different creams etc., but in the last 5 or 6 months, I have settled on desitin. I haven't had any issues with rash and I always feel totally protected. I haven't noticed any problem for certain regarding the diaper breaking down. I primarily wear Incontrol inspire+ at night with a booster.

Reactions: PadPhilosopher, Edgewater and Zeke
Yes the Quality of the Diaper is fhe Biggest Problem while using Diaper Rash Cream. Change to a better quality. I use Bedry / Incontrol is up there with the Best. Falling Apart will stop with a Quality Diaper.

Reactions: PadPhilosopher, Edgewater, jdinvirginia and 1 other person
I have been using Desitin for a period of about 10 years. I never have had a problem with the diaper deteriorating because of the destin. I apply a thin barrier and may have it on for up to seven hours before I change. I usually wear premium diapers.

--John

Reactions: Diprs2, PadPhilosopher, Jonnythepony and 1 other person
Desitin works great and a little amount goes a long way with protecting and helping heel damaged skin

Reactions: Diprs2, PadPhilosopher and Edgewater
Yes, overuse or too much of a lot of creams and ointments will cause the glues in diapers to fail.

Even things like AD or petrolatum will cause glues to degrade and fail.

Yes a tiny bit goes a long way.

Myself a tub of desitin will last about a year and i use it anytime i think im going/getting a rash at all.

But, also been trying hypo3 and so far havent had any sign of a rash at all in like 3+weeks

Reactions: Diprs2, Edgewater and PadPhilosopher
I use the generic version of Desitin regularly, and also oil myself to prevent rashes. I've never experienced a problem with this on any diaper I've used, and I've used a bunch. The worst I have had is the oil degrading the adhesive and making the leg tapes pop loose if I'm not careful. I've never seen structural problems. I have seen cheap diapers have structural issues without any provocation.

Last edited:
Reactions: Diprs2 and Edgewater
limelynx said:
Hi all, I have a question for everyone in the group. I use desitin to help with my diaper rash issue. I am wondering if anyone one else has an issue with using desitin, and your diaper falls apart. It seems that every time I use desitin and change my diaper, the wet diaper stuffing usually ends up on the floor.
Be very careful when choosing the products you use, especially if you're also investing in the high cost of natural/cloth diapers. Products that contain zinc oxide and petrolatum can degrade and ruin the cloth fibers, very quickly. When handling rashes, I add a pad and score it (To allow urine to pass through for the cloth diaper to absorb, but providing a good barrier keeping the cloth away from the ointment).

As others have suggested, wear gloves and be extra careful about getting anything on the adhesive tabs (If that's the kind of protection worn) or the area they are being attached to.

I use desitin, and with a megamax diaper it doesn't have much effect, but some cheap diapers like depends, some tena, they will fall apart quickly, and make a mess. Baby oil will make a diaper fall apart very quick also. So I avoid that.

Edit: I really needed to see this thread!
I use desitin and petroleum jelly in copious amounts when applying my creams and now I think I know why my lil kings keeps falling apart on me.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Dry247, Diprs2 and PadPhilosopher
There's no need for copious amounts of anything; just a light coating. More than that is a waste that just goes straight to your diaper, and will at the least make it not absorb well, and at worst cause sudden unintended disassembly. 😱

• Love
Reactions: Tine, Diprs2, jdinvirginia and 1 other person
PadPhilosopher said:
There's no need for copious amounts of anything; just a light coating. More than that is a waste that just goes straight to your diaper, and will at the least make it not absorb well, and at worst cause sudden unintended disassembly. 😱
I was very afraid of the possibility of getting a diaper rash! So I did go a little overboard on the creams. Now I think I know the secret!! Light amount of cream and if you change every 5-8 hours you should be okay.

Reactions: Diprs2, Edgewater and PadPhilosopher
yellowcrayons said:
I was very afraid of the possibility of getting a diaper rash! So I did go a little overboard on the creams. Now I think I know the secret!! Light amount of cream and if you change every 5-8 hours you should be okay.
You got it! I get away with fewer changes than that; consistency with anti rash products, not generosity, is the key. I use 3:1 almond/jojoba oil more than cream, to excellent effect, but whatever you use, enough to cover is all you need.

Reactions: Diprs2
PadPhilosopher said:
You got it! I get away with fewer changes than that; consistency with anti rash products, not generosity, is the key. I use 3:1 almond/jojoba oil more than cream, to excellent effect, but whatever you use, enough to cover is all you need.
Almond and jojoba oil? That sounds like it smells lovely. If you ever happen to have a recipe for something like that so I can make it at home that would be awesome.
But lesson learned!

Reactions: Diprs2 and PadPhilosopher
Recipe incoming! 😁

Here's what I do:

3 parts almond or grapeseed oil (almond is better but some people are allergic)
1 part jojoba oil
15 to 30 drops essential oils per ounce of finished product to make it more awesome.

Lavendar is antibacterial and smells fabulous. Thyme is antibacterial and smells terrible, but a drop an ounce or so can be buried in things that smell nice. Beyond that, the sky's the limit. Be careful with things like clove, cinnamon, and other "spicy" oils, as they can be irritating.

I have made one called "Lavendar Garden" that smells like a sophisticated lady and has received good reviews from actual ladies but smells better on them than on me. 😆

6 drops lavendar
1 drop rose
2 drops rosemary
2 drops bergamot
1 drop cedarwood
1 drop sandalwood

I'm going from memory there. I love playing with essential oils, though, so I had them on hand already when I started all this. I have made many other formulations, also, and if you just had an essential oil blend you buy blended and like, drop in a suitable amount and call it a day.

• Love
Reactions: Tine, Diprs2 and yellowcrayons
Back