Guest viewing is limited
  • Guests can only view a limited number of pages. Please log in or register to remove this limit.
  • 5 guest views remaining

Incontinence in hospital

BABYTIGERCUB

ABDLIC
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Incontinent
I went back into the hospital second time this year for heart failure and being a fall hazard I was confined to bed, the nurses have to do diaper changes I usually do these by myself but being a fall hazard they did these it was like bliss for an ABDLIC It was for only a week the last time in December and January it was for 19 days back home and doing my diaper changes myself again.

Reactions: TeddyBunny, PadPhilosopher, Zeke and 3 others
I would be so mortified to have someone change my diaper... that said I can understand why they confined you to bed.

Glad to hear you made it out and hope you are doing better!

Reactions: TeddyBunny, PadPhilosopher, Pino and 3 others
Sending you lots of love and hope you feel better

Reactions: PadPhilosopher, Zeke, BABYTIGERCUB and 1 other person
im surprised they did diaper changes
most hospitals hook you up to a cath & collection bag. They want to monitor output and caths in hospitals require less changes

Last edited:
Reactions: TeddyBunny, PadPhilosopher, Pino and 3 others
SparkyDog said:
most hospitals hook you up to a cath & collection bag. They want to monitor output and caths in hospitals require less changes
SparkyDog said:
I'm not sure if your in Canada or USA by your profile flag, in most hospitals in USA don't use indwilling catheters any longer they carry high risk for infections they have in turned now use the Pure Wick system for men and women for women they also use diapers because it's not 100 percent and you will get some leaking if you get a chance look up the pure wick system for men and women I had the one for women when I was in the hospital I checked the price and it's quite expensive for home use and unfortunately medicare in the USA doesn't cover the cost it can be as high as $200.00 per month or better.

Reactions: TeddyBunny, BigAl2 and PadPhilosopher
BABYTIGERCUB said:
I'm not sure if your in Canada or USA by your profile flag,
That would be the Canadian flag

Oh I am aware of the UTI risk with caths
I've had them which is why I refuse to use them at home but definitely they use them on adults in hospital here. Unless you're young pediatric you get a diaper but otherwise if you can't use a bed pan or get to the toilet in goes the cath. They definitely arnt changing diapers here.

Reactions: TeddyBunny, Diprs2, PadPhilosopher and 1 other person
Hospital diapers are pure crap

Reactions: TeddyBunny, PadPhilosopher, Raven801 and 1 other person
dpcare said:
They will use your diaps if you provide them....had many hospital stays ...I am a fall risk as well.and I must say God bless those nurses because changing myself in the condition I was in felt impossible. I'm double ic and high infection risk so the only option is diapers

Reactions: TeddyBunny, Diprs2, PadPhilosopher and 2 others
BABYTIGERCUB said:
I'm not sure if your in Canada or USA by your profile flag, in most hospitals in USA don't use indwilling catheters any longer they carry high risk for infections they have in turned now use the Pure Wick system for men and women for women they also use diapers because it's not 100 percent and you will get some leaking if you get a chance look up the pure wick system for men and women I had the one for women when I was in the hospital I checked the price and it's quite expensive for home use and unfortunately medicare in the USA doesn't cover the cost it can be as high as $200.00 per month or better.
I hope you don’t mind me being a bit blunt here when I ask a question about the PureWick system that I see advertised a lot on TV and that you had personal experience with. My curiosity was peaked when I thought about the cooling effect of drawing air across a wet surface. Doesn’t that PureWick Female External Catheter tend cool when you put a vacuum to it from this effect or is it minimal or just non existent?

Last edited:
Reactions: Diprs2 and PadPhilosopher
So, yes they do still use cath here in the US, when i was in coma, they put in a cath, least i had one in when i was in the hospital.

As for riles, they are all over the place.

I've been in hospitals that want to do a cath right away, and i say NO CATH, which is your right. Others that dont want to do a cath at all.

Been in hospitals that even though i am a fall hazard (bad leg, BP issues, dizzy, etc) wouldnt put up the sides on the bed without a script from the dr as entrapment concerns. And others that put the sides up right away!

Hospitals that bring the wrong drugs, and/or things like High BP drugs when in for Low BP, yep that might just kill me...

So, I was in 14 seperate ICU's in the course of about 2 years and there seemed to be NO common set or rules to any of them, even just different locations for the same company had different rules.

So, i dont think too many on here are really going to have the same experiance as its just so across the board.

Myself i just changed myself when i was able to, but when not able to then not much can do but have help.

Now i'm not really an AB so i dont really look for someone to change my diaper (But the ex did in some fun ways for sure) in the hospital for sure. and the nurses have plenty of other things to attend to. If they require it or request to, which i've had happen you can decide to take the help or not...

• Wow
Reactions: LordDuque, Diprs2, PadPhilosopher and 1 other person
BABYTIGERCUB said:
e hospital second time this year for heart failure and being a fall hazard I was confined to bed, the nurses have to do diaper changes I usually do these by myself but being a fall hazard they did these it was like bliss for an ABDLIC It was for only a week the last time in December and January it was for 19 days back home and doing my diaper changes myself again.
I know this is for incontinence discussion, but whatever landed you in the hospital, I hope that you feel better! Sending warm bunny hugs for a complete and speedy recovery whatever it is!

Reactions: PadPhilosopher
Zeke said:
I hope you don’t mind me being a bit blunt here when I ask a question about the PureWick system that I see advertised a lot on TV and that you had personal experience with. My curiosity was peaked when I thought about the cooling effect of drawing air across a wet surface. Doesn’t that PureWick Female External Catheter tend cool when you put a vacuum to it from this effect or is it minimal or just non existent?
I have used the pure wicked suction catheters on both men and women. None of my patients have even said anything about a cool sensation after it is applied, I have even tried to feel the suction sensation with my feeling, before placing it on a female patient, and because it's on such low settings, you don't really feel it. The actual purewick is soft silicone and fabric so it warms quite quickly to the body. The male version is a bag that goes over the external male genitalia, and the bag is adhered to the public bone.
Neither version is perfect, but are great for patients with IC, ordered bedrest, or sedated and don't need strict I&Os. Trying to avoid indwelling catheter infection risks.

Reactions: Diprs2, PadPhilosopher, Pino and 2 others
JamisonFTM said:
I have used the pure wicked suction catheters on both men and women. None of my patients have even said anything about a cool sensation after it is applied, I have even tried to feel the suction sensation with my feeling, before placing it on a female patient, and because it's on such low settings, you don't really feel it. The actual purewick is soft silicone and fabric so it warms quite quickly to the body. The male version is a bag that goes over the external male genitalia, and the bag is adhered to the public bone.
Neither version is perfect, but are great for patients with IC, ordered bedrest, or sedated and don't need strict I&Os. Trying to avoid indwelling catheter infection risks.
Thank you for your informative response.

Interesting information here, never heard of PureWick in Germany, but i never saw Condom-Catheters either in use, diapers of all kinds, yes, Foleys, yes.

When i am in hospital i bring my diapers with me, they do have some, but mine are better most times, sometimes i choose the Foley, because it is easier with my condition as changing my diapers, less embarrassing simply, Until now i could avoid being changed by someone else, i am not looking forward to the day i need help with that. I am doing the Foleys myself these days in the hospital and a nurse will help me out, three hands are easier. I am worried a little about a longer stay for my hip replacement, but we will see.

Last edited:
Reactions: Diprs2, PadPhilosopher, BABYTIGERCUB and 1 other person
Pino said:
Interesting information here, never heard of PureWick in Germany, but i never saw Condom-Catheters either in use, diapers of all kinds, yes, Foleys, yes.

When i am in hospital i bring my diapers with me, they do have some, but mine are better most times, sometimes i choose the Foley, because it is easier with my condition as changing my diapers, less embarrassing simply, Until now i could avoid being changed by someone else, i am not looking forward to the day i need help with that. I am doing the Foleys myself these days in the hospital and a nurse will help me out, three hands are easier. I am worried a little about a longer stay for my hip replacement, but we will see.
They are so many different solutions for IC, diapers really are the last option for most hospitals, especially for those less mobile, because they promote skin breakdown. So finding ways to keep patients dry and trying to contain urine or bowel movements is important. I wish you all the best with you surgery and recovery, and I am glad that the medical staff takes into account your preferences.
It has never been awkward, as a nurse, having to change someone that needs to be changed. Even though patients express embarrassment about needing it, I always try to console them. Same as helping someone pull up their underwear bc they can't bend over or get dressed bc they have limited mobility, the medical staff is there to assist where you can't and help get you back to where you can eventually do it yourself again. Hope you are able to recover quickly, but in the mean time, enjoy being taking care of by someone else for a bit and focus on your health.

Reactions: Bigbabybret, Diprs2, PadPhilosopher and 3 others
dpcare said:
I provided my own betterdry
Pino said:

I've been bringing my own which are betterdry here in the USA their getting away from using the Foley catheter they feel that they cause a lot of infection ya if it's not done properly they have cut back on staff which is a big deal.

glad to read you are home and on the mend. warm wishes that your health continues to improve. i haven't been cath in a long time. hospital diapers they are okay when you are just laying around (staying in bed), but it is wise idea whenever possible to bring in your own diapers from home. for me there are a couple reasons one being the quality of my own diapers but also comfort and a sense home. having stuff from home helps me feel better mentally which helps with recovery. i guess i have been lucky majority of the staff (nurses and aids) have all been excellence with their care. i am a talker and like chatting with the staff so getting to know those who are looking after you goes a long way of establishing a comfort zone and easy which i think is a good thing when it comes to being changed.

Reactions: PadPhilosopher and Diprs2
I was in the hospital for some major surgery and wasn't very mobile. I had a problem getting up and using the toilet or the urinal that they gave me. After having to change the sheets a couple of times in a day and seeing that I had problems with incontinence they asked if it was okay if I wore a diaper. You are right the hospital ones are bad. My wife had to bring up my package of diapers from home to use.

For the next 10 days that I was in. I was diapered the whole time. Luckily that I was on a completely liquid diet lol. Even went home in one.

I wear Tena Slip Maxi Active Fit adult nappies to manage my incontinence as I have no feeling of needing to wee. During my last spell in hospital I was not able to change myself. The nurses and healthcare assistants were so understanding and never made me feel embarrassed. They probably changed me ever 4/5 hours but would check how wet my nappy was in between changes. I have had a number of spinal operations over the last decade or so, mostly at the same hospital so they know me pretty well. And I am lucky to have private health insurance. My only spell in a nhs general hospital was far less satisfactory and I was left in a wet nappy for long periods before I could get anyone to help me change and inevitably also had a wet bed and pyjamas.

• Sad
Reactions: Diprs2, Pino and EcoIncon
When I was in the hospital with COVID-19 I spent quite some time in the ICU intubated after a few weeks I was moved to a private room why? I could get out of bed but it took the nurses quite some time to get in the room I would wet the bed after a day or two the overnight nurse comes in with a pile of diapers and after some conversation, I am diapered up. I was that way even given some diapers to take home with. I am now living in diapers and plastic pants 24/7

Reactions: Diprs2 and Wetshisbed
Back