Stings to urinate

Clothforever

Contributor
Team, any ideas what would cause a stinging sensation when urinating?

Reactions: GeorgeG, Diprs2, Edgewater and 1 other person
Do you have an UTI a classic sign! Best have a chat with a medical professional as early as possible so can do a urine test!

Hope this helps.

Reactions: PricklyPear, Diprs2, Edgewater and 2 others
UTI. Call your pcp in the morning and get tested

Reactions: Diprs2, Edgewater and PadPhilosopher
Drink lots of water, go to the Dr, get a test, stick with what the Dr says and you'll be back to normal in no time. I've had two UTIs as an adult.

Hope you are doing better now. Seems like UTI...

Thats a urine or bladder infection sounds like. don't ignore it. see your g/p. they will need to do a urine test. and also give you a course of anti bionics.

If you want to, you can get UTI test strips at Walgreens. I keep a box here at all times.

Also, keep us updated.

I've never had a UTI but my wife has and describes the stinging. I have had something else cause INTENSE stinging before, and it was a spermicide my wife used. It somehow destroyed the mucus lining of my urethra. The pain was so bad and lasted for days that I stopped drinking fluids. I literally had to push through the pain of the initial starting a stream. Awful experience. I hope you get it figured out soon.

• Wow
Reactions: PadPhilosopher, Zeke and artemisenterri
Sounds like an UTI. I would go see my doctor or urgent care to get a prescription for antibiotics

Reactions: PadPhilosopher and Zeke
ArchtopK said:
If you want to, you can get UTI test strips at Walgreens. I keep a box here at all times.
The times that I had a test it took time to incubate the sample. How do the test kits get around the need for that procedure?

Reactions: PadPhilosopher
Traveler said:
I've never had a UTI but my wife has and describes the stinging. I have had something else cause INTENSE stinging before, and it was a spermicide my wife used. It somehow destroyed the mucus lining of my urethra. The pain was so bad and lasted for days that I stopped drinking fluids. I literally had to push through the pain of the initial starting a stream. Awful experience. I hope you get it figured out soon.
Sounds like that spermicide was going a little overboard in attacking the source of the threat it was formulated to fight!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Mapboy said:
Sounds like an UTI. I would go see my doctor or urgent care to get a prescription for antibiotics
If I remember correctly the reason for the doctor having my urine sample incubated was to determine if the infection was viral or bacterial, only one of which antibiotics would be any help for.

Last edited:
Clothforever said:
Team, any ideas what would cause a stinging sensation when urinating?
I get this a lot, but the stinging is usually just at the tip of my penis, and caused by being in a wet pad. I have been told this is not a uti. What has helped loads is if I use a tiny blob of sudocrem at the tip. This somehow slows the infection down. Peeing cleans your urethra, and drinking water helps loads. If your stinging is further up, or continues, definitely go to a doctor. They can test you very easily.

Zeke said:
The times that I had a test it took time to incubate the sample. How do the test kits get around the need for that procedure?
The quick tests typically look for white blood cells in the urine, which the body uses to fight the infection. Those can be detected by a chemical test in a few minutes.

The tests that involve incubating a sample is a urine culture, which is necessary if they want to find out exactly which organism is causing the UTI. They usually just give broad-spectrum antibiotics that cover most of the routine bacteria, and don't need to do a culture. If somebody is having recurrent or severe UTIs, or has other health issues that make it beneficial to know exactly what's causing the infection, they'll go ahead and do the culture, often with tests of which antibiotics work against that particular strain.

Back