How was your bedwetting handled

How was your childhood bedwetting handled

• Total voters
I started wetting the bed around 7 and had the white plastic sheet put on the bed. I came home from school one day and there was a stack of diapers and rubber pants on my bed. As I was changing to go out to play my mother came in and explained that I was going to start wearing diapers to bed until I stopped as the sheets and room smelled. I was so upset and cried that night after my bath when she led me to my room and proceeded to diaper me. She would do this every night until I turned 13. At that point she said I was old enough as a teenager to put them on myself and had bought size large pampers. She showed me how to lay brown and tape them up and cover them with my rubber pants. Every night I had to show my parents that I had them on under my pj’s. I have to admit as much as I didn’t like wearing them at that point, I was happy waking up with dry sheets. I have never slept without a diaper on to this day. About 5 yrs ago my wife suggested going back to cloth diapers as I was leaking due to my side sleeping pattern. Every night before one of us goes to bed she pins on 2 cloth diapers and rubber pants. So it has been a full circle with my bed wetting.

• Sad
Reactions: Diprs2, bedwetter bobby and jamiejamie
SDB2014 said:
I started wetting the bed around 7 and had the white plastic sheet put on the bed. I came home from school one day and there was a stack of diapers and rubber pants on my bed. As I was changing to go out to play my mother came in and explained that I was going to start wearing diapers to bed until I stopped as the sheets and room smelled. I was so upset and cried that night after my bath when she led me to my room and proceeded to diaper me. She would do this every night until I turned 13. At that point she said I was old enough as a teenager to put them on myself and had bought size large pampers. She showed me how to lay brown and tape them up and cover them with my rubber pants. Every night I had to show my parents that I had them on under my pj’s. I have to admit as much as I didn’t like wearing them at that point, I was happy waking up with dry sheets. I have never slept without a diaper on to this day. About 5 yrs ago my wife suggested going back to cloth diapers as I was leaking due to my side sleeping pattern. Every night before one of us goes to bed she pins on 2 cloth diapers and rubber pants. So it has been a full circle with my bed wetting.
Bet that sucked at that time. But glad she helped you with the issue.

Reactions: Diprs2
SDB2014 said:
Arriving home to find diapers on your bed must have been embarrassing, worse still having to prove you were wearing them.

That pissy mattress and sheets smell is unmistakable, especially when they dry out and it’s even worse when it takes a while. When I was about 25 or 26, I had an embarrassing experience when I moved interstate and stayed at a friend’s house. The very first night I stayed there I woke up in the middle of the night, to the realisation I had wet the bed and not just a little.

One of the reasons I made the move was to escape some personal problems and it wasn’t going well at all. I hadn’t wet the bed since I was a kid, yet there I was completely shocked at what I had done. I somehow thought I could hide it without my friends, his wife or their kids finding out. His wife was a stay-at-home mum, and they didn’t have a dryer so washing the sheets without being noticed was going to be impossible.

Letting the sheets and mattress dry out worked, but that dry pissy smell was noticeable and to make it even worse I wet the bed a few more times. That seemed to increase the smell ten-fold and it soon got noticed by one of their kids. He walked out of the room and said loudly, “mum ***** wets the bed and his room is really smelly”. To make it even worse they had friends over at the time and a few minutes after they left his mum knocked on the door and asked if she could come in.

Reactions: Diprs2 and jaredc3
Babybear2006 said:
How was everyone's childhood bedwetting handled? I started with diapers and pullups but was given a bedwetting alarm to try to get me to stop wetting my bed and I also had a plastic sheet on my bed. When I was 9, I put in goodnites because I was unplugging my alarm. I was later switched back to regular diapers at 13.
I wore GoodNites

My parents just made me put towels or bedpads in my bed until I got old enough to just buy diapers and deal with it myself

Airborne532 said:
Arriving home to find diapers on your bed must have been embarrassing, worse still having to prove you were wearing them.

That pissy mattress and sheets smell is unmistakable, especially when they dry out and it’s even worse when it takes a while. When I was about 25 or 26, I had an embarrassing experience when I moved interstate and stayed at a friend’s house. The very first night I stayed there I woke up in the middle of the night, to the realisation I had wet the bed and not just a little.

One of the reasons I made the move was to escape some personal problems and it wasn’t going well at all. I hadn’t wet the bed since I was a kid, yet there I was completely shocked at what I had done. I somehow thought I could hide it without my friends, his wife or their kids finding out. His wife was a stay-at-home mum, and they didn’t have a dryer so washing the sheets without being noticed was going to be impossible.

Letting the sheets and mattress dry out worked, but that dry pissy smell was noticeable and to make it even worse I wet the bed a few more times. That seemed to increase the smell ten-fold and it soon got noticed by one of their kids. He walked out of the room and said loudly, “mum ***** wets the bed and his room is really smelly”. To make it even worse they had friends over at the time and a few minutes after they left his mum knocked on the door and asked if she could come in.
Then what happened???? Omg

Airborne532 said:
When I was about 25 or 26, I had an embarrassing experience when I moved interstate and stayed at a friend’s house. The very first night I stayed there I woke up in the middle of the night, to the realization I had wet the bed and not just a little. I hadn’t wet the bed since I was a kid, yet there I was completely shocked at what I had done
When I started to diaper up 24/7, I resolved not to live another day in my life unless I was diapered up. The possibility of having an accident like yours even during the day is all too great. Discarding disposable diapers is not a problem. But cleaning bed sheets and a mattress is an inconvenience involving difficulties that are encountered while trying to change the linens. It is preferable to be cautious by choosing to diaper up 24/7 than to suffer afterwards with a cleanup of an accident.

KitsuneFox said:
Am I one of the few adult bedwetters who never wet as a child ?
I only had a few times. But I can wet the bed now no problem. 😳 protection protection protection is my motto.

KitsuneFox said:
Am I one of the few adult bed-wetters who never wet as a child ?
Well I don't have much memory and so I don't remember bed-wetting as a child even it may have happened. Here is some information on adult bed-wetting:

Nocturnal enuresis or bed-wetting is the involuntary release of urine during sleep. Bed-wetting can be a symptom of bladder control problems like incontinence or overactive bladder or more severe structural issues, like an enlarged prostate or bladder cancer. Studies shows that 1 to 2 percent of adults wet the bed, though researchers think that statistic is under-reported due to the embarrassing nature of the problem. Rather than hiding your secret, you should explore effective treatments that can help lessen the likelihood of bed-wetting and reduce the anxiety of going to sleep at night. NOTE: This section focuses on bed-wetting when it affects adults.

A. What causes Enuresis?

1.Hormonal Causes

The body produces ADH (an anti-diuretic hormone) at night, which slows the kidney's production of urine while you sleep. In people with enuresis, this hormone is not produced in significant enough quantities to slow the production of urine, which often leads to bed-wetting. This can be a symptom of both Type I and Type II Diabetes.

2. Neurological Causes

People who suffer enuresis can also have a smaller functional bladder capacity, meaning the amount of urine they can hold before the bladder sends a signal to the brain that it's full is smaller than average. Coupled with overactive bladder or bladder instability, this can lead to bed-wetting.

3. Structural Causes

Enuresis can also be a symptom of problems in the urethra, prostate or pelvis, including urinary tract infection, urinary tract stones, enlarged prostate, prostate cancer and bladder cancer.

4. Medication and Diet

Bed-wetting can be a side effect of certain insomnia medications and drugs taken for psychiatric purposes like Mellaril (thioridazine), Clozaril (clozapine), and Risperdal (risperidone). Bladder irritants such as alcohol and caffeine can also contribute to bladder instability and act as diuretics to increase the production of urine.

B. How can Enuresis be treated?

Many treatments for enuresis have been effective. Consult your doctor before trying any treatment on your own.

1. Behavioral Treatment

• Monitoring Fluid Intake: The first step towards preventing bed-wetting is limiting the intake of fluids in the afternoon and evening, which creates a decrease in the amount of urine produced at night. Reduce or avoid caffeine and alcohol intake, which act as diuretics and increase the likelihood of accidents.
  • Bladder Volume Control: This technique attempts to increase bladder capacity in those with smaller functional bladders. Training involves drinking large amounts of fluid during the day and refraining from urinating for as long as possible to increase functional bladder capacity.
  • Bed-wetting Alarm System: Wet-detection alarms can be used in underwear or on the bed itself to vibrate or give off sound when bed-wetting occurs. This wakes you and allows you to stop the flow of urine and finish in the restroom. Eventually, the body conditions itself to wake before the urge to urinate gets too strong.
  • Waking: Setting a random alarm each night to get up and urinate may be helpful in preventing bed-wetting. Avoid setting an alarm at the same time each evening in case your body becomes accustomed to emptying at a set time each night.

2. Medication

Medication can be an effective treatment for enuresis, but only for as long as it is taken. Medication only deals with the symptoms rather than the underlying causes of bedwetting, so it's recommended that you try behavioral treatments as well. The most common medications mimic the hormone ADH, slowing production of urine in the kidneys and lessening the instances of bedwetting.

3. Surgery

Surgery should only be considered once other non-invasive options have been exhausted. Talk to your health care professional about other options before choosing surgery.
  • Sacral Nerve Stimulation: Sacral nerve roots are stimulated, causing decreased activity in the bladder muscles, which helps the muscle to relax and not contract constantly. This form of surgery is recommended if you also have moderate to severe urge incontinence.
  • Clam Cytoplasty: The bladder is cut open and a patch of intestine added to increase bladder capacity and reduce bladder instability.
  • Detrusor Myectomy: A portion of the exterior muscle surrounding the bladder is removed, strengthening bladder contractions and reducing the number of them.
See beaumont.org/conditions/enuresis

GoodnitesLover8 said:
Then what happened???? Omg
I opened the door as little as possible and stood so she couldn’t go in, hoping I could talk to her without her entering. I’m not sure why but I just stood there without saying a word, so she repeated her request. Again, I just stood there, so she opened the door further and pushed herself past me. Not wanting to miss what was going to happen next both their kids did the same and their boy said, see I told you he wets the bed”.

She immediately told them to leave and closed the door. The strong pissy smell must have confirmed what their son had said was true and the next thing she said was, “maybe you should have told me you still wet the bed”. I was so humiliated I just stood there not knowing what to say while she check my bed. She then said, “well the mattress is dry so let’s just change the sheets, we can put the mattress outside in the sun tomorrow”.

I helped her take them off, trying to think of something to say, but all I could think of was, “I’m sorry”. When she opened the door both her kids were standing there, obviously fascinated with what was going on. As she walked to the laundry their son asked if I was in big trouble, like he was hoping I was. It was the next thing she said that stunned me even more, when she said. “No, and don’t be so mean. He is going through some personal problems”.

I soon discovered she knew far more than I wanted, but I never worked out how, or who had told her. The next morning, she came in my room again, insisting she was going to help me work through my problems. Being a stay-at-home mum, I think I gave her a new challenge, but her approach was rather humiliating at times.

An example of that was when we were having drinks with their friends. She decided I had enough and when my friend, her husband suggested I was fine she said, “no he’s had enough”. She then took my drink and said, “we have been doing so well with your bed wetting, so no more”.

• Wow
Reactions: Diprs2, SDB2014, nwm and 1 other person
TreeLad said:
True story ^^
I got no sympathy
I hear ya, that plus being put back in a diaper was for punishment and even being made to clean my poopy diaper in the toilet. I now understand why my Mother dealt with it the way she did. She was young, had 3 small kids and a young husband with cancer which ended up being terminal at a very young age. I guess I became sort of her frustration release.

• Sad
Reactions: TreeLad and CheshireCat
nwm said:
I was actually never out of diapers at all (confirmed nerve issue) so a diaper, plastic sheet, and bed pad.
Only difference now is no plastic sheet (tried, wife can't stand it) - but something is going to have to give...
Bed pad moving on me a lot - found out because of back pain - no one wants to do anything except a nerve-block there, but NO WAY am I going that (had ONE, NOT happy with loosing even more mobility in my hand - so NO WAY is ANYONE EVER doing another one ANYWHERE EVER!
Do know Cannabis helps, no issue with bad pad IF I have that - BUT - IF we are lucky, I MIGHT be able to afford a 2-week supply of that per month (and that is kind of pushing it) - so - IDK...
What plastic sheets/waterproof mattress protectors have you tried nwm?

Is there a reason your wife doesn't like them?

You can get different types. A lot of them these days aren't noisy, or plasticky.

• Love
Reactions: Diprs2 and PaddedRita
abdl86 said:
Kind of a different way to see it as a kid. But it sure is not nice of your sister. But good that it did dent bother you then.
I think it just made me more determined not to care and make no effort to become dry at night. Everyone knew I wet the bed. It didn't bother me so why make any effort to become dry at night

abdl86 said:
No its more friends finding out and the whole school. Kids can be mean.
My close friends all knew I wet the bed and it wasn't a big deal

Pull-ups :/

bbrz said:
But hey, I came to this site to find out if there are other people my age, other than their spouses, who are subjecting them to similar treatment with a very valid reason of bedwetting.
Sort of, with bedwetting becoming more frequent many years ago a live-in girlfriend (now wife) came home with diapers indicating it’d be best if I wore when an accident was likely (after drinking). Honest to god, that very night she convinced me to lay on my back with a towel over my face as she diapered me before bed.

Reactions: Diprs2 and chamberpot
Bobby's parents put him in diapers. He was dry until he was four, then started bedwetting. He struggled to keep his pants dry after that, and there was often a tell-tale wetspot.
His parents accused him of being lazy, and found ways of humiliating him. As he got to be 7 or 8, they would make him hang his diapers on the line for the kids on the school bus to see. When he got to be 11 or 12, they made him drag his mattress out to dry the same way. When he stayed overnights at his grandparents, they would fold up bedsheets and pin them onhim, then put him in plastic pants. In front of anyone who was there, despite his tears. Then he was taken to bed, on a walk of shame. And made to find his way down to the breakfast tablle, wet, in the morning.

He still has problems staying dry, for various actual medical reasons, which it turned out, was the problemall alog. We found that out when Ipersonally made him a doctor appointment, diapered him, and took him myself to find out what was up.

Last edited:
TreeLad said:
I used to get my nose rubbed in it.
I had a similar experience where I sleep walked out of bed and my pullup leaked all over the carpet. In the morning I had an angry parent pushing my head onto the wet carpet while getting scolded.
I’d almost completely forgot about that until I read the post.
For a few weeks after that I was put in diapers again so I must have been maybe 4 years old?
I don’t really have any grudge against it strangely but obviously the trauma memory is still existent.

• Sad
Reactions: Diprs2 and TreeLad
SeniorMan said:
Well I don't have much memory and so I don't remember bed-wetting as a child even it may have happened. Here is some information on adult bed-wetting:

Nocturnal enuresis or bed-wetting is the involuntary release of urine during sleep. Bed-wetting can be a symptom of bladder control problems like incontinence or overactive bladder or more severe structural issues, like an enlarged prostate or bladder cancer. Studies shows that 1 to 2 percent of adults wet the bed, though researchers think that statistic is under-reported due to the embarrassing nature of the problem. Rather than hiding your secret, you should explore effective treatments that can help lessen the likelihood of bed-wetting and reduce the anxiety of going to sleep at night. NOTE: This section focuses on bed-wetting when it affects adults.

A. What causes Enuresis?

1.Hormonal Causes

The body produces ADH (an anti-diuretic hormone) at night, which slows the kidney's production of urine while you sleep. In people with enuresis, this hormone is not produced in significant enough quantities to slow the production of urine, which often leads to bed-wetting. This can be a symptom of both Type I and Type II Diabetes.

2. Neurological Causes

People who suffer enuresis can also have a smaller functional bladder capacity, meaning the amount of urine they can hold before the bladder sends a signal to the brain that it's full is smaller than average. Coupled with overactive bladder or bladder instability, this can lead to bed-wetting.

3. Structural Causes

Enuresis can also be a symptom of problems in the urethra, prostate or pelvis, including urinary tract infection, urinary tract stones, enlarged prostate, prostate cancer and bladder cancer.

4. Medication and Diet

Bed-wetting can be a side effect of certain insomnia medications and drugs taken for psychiatric purposes like Mellaril (thioridazine), Clozaril (clozapine), and Risperdal (risperidone). Bladder irritants such as alcohol and caffeine can also contribute to bladder instability and act as diuretics to increase the production of urine.

B. How can Enuresis be treated?

Many treatments for enuresis have been effective. Consult your doctor before trying any treatment on your own.

1. Behavioral Treatment

• Monitoring Fluid Intake: The first step towards preventing bed-wetting is limiting the intake of fluids in the afternoon and evening, which creates a decrease in the amount of urine produced at night. Reduce or avoid caffeine and alcohol intake, which act as diuretics and increase the likelihood of accidents.
  • Bladder Volume Control: This technique attempts to increase bladder capacity in those with smaller functional bladders. Training involves drinking large amounts of fluid during the day and refraining from urinating for as long as possible to increase functional bladder capacity.
  • Bed-wetting Alarm System: Wet-detection alarms can be used in underwear or on the bed itself to vibrate or give off sound when bed-wetting occurs. This wakes you and allows you to stop the flow of urine and finish in the restroom. Eventually, the body conditions itself to wake before the urge to urinate gets too strong.
  • Waking: Setting a random alarm each night to get up and urinate may be helpful in preventing bed-wetting. Avoid setting an alarm at the same time each evening in case your body becomes accustomed to emptying at a set time each night.

2. Medication

Medication can be an effective treatment for enuresis, but only for as long as it is taken. Medication only deals with the symptoms rather than the underlying causes of bedwetting, so it's recommended that you try behavioral treatments as well. The most common medications mimic the hormone ADH, slowing production of urine in the kidneys and lessening the instances of bedwetting.

3. Surgery

Surgery should only be considered once other non-invasive options have been exhausted. Talk to your health care professional about other options before choosing surgery.
  • Sacral Nerve Stimulation: Sacral nerve roots are stimulated, causing decreased activity in the bladder muscles, which helps the muscle to relax and not contract constantly. This form of surgery is recommended if you also have moderate to severe urge incontinence.
  • Clam Cytoplasty: The bladder is cut open and a patch of intestine added to increase bladder capacity and reduce bladder instability.
  • Detrusor Myectomy: A portion of the exterior muscle surrounding the bladder is removed, strengthening bladder contractions and reducing the number of them.
See beaumont.org/conditions/enuresis
I told my doctor, no surgeries and no meds. They just suck and no bed wetting alarms either. They just suck. I’d rather wear a diaper than have a surgery and there’s nothing physically wrong with the bladder. It’s the brain.and cerebral palsy can’t be fixed, neither can bed wetting hello my doctors suggestions suck and I pee the bed. Every time I have surgery it’s unavoidable, and if I pee the bed again without wearing a diaper, I will be so embarrassed that I’m taking myself off the Internet

Last edited:
Back